Families in Croydon are being encouraged to apply for Healthy Start vouchers for free food and vitamins.
Pregnant women and families who receive certain benefits and have a child or children under the age of four can use the food vouchers for fresh or frozen fruit and vegetables, and fresh milk or formula milk.
The free vitamins are specifically designed for pregnant and breastfeeding women and growing children to boost their immune system and aid healthy development. The vitamins are available in exchange for vouchers from children’s centres and some health centres.
The following vouchers are available to those who qualify:
• A pregnant woman is entitled to food vouchers worth £3.10 per week from when they are 10 weeks pregnant and free vitamin tablets.
• Pregnant women under the age of 18 are entitled to Healthy Start vouchers – whether they are on benefits or not.
• Families with a baby under one receive two food vouchers per week worth £6.20.
• Those with a child or children between one and four, can get one £3.10 voucher per child per week.
• Children between six months and four years are also entitled to free vitamin drops.
Parents must complete an application form to apply for the vouchers. The form and information leaflets are available online as well as from health visitors, children’s centres, the Job Centre and Access Croydon on Mint Walk. You can check if you qualify on the Healthy Start website www.healthystart.nhs.uk/healthy-start-vouchers/do-i-qualify
The free vitamins and food vouchers are being offered as part of Healthy Start – a UK-wide Government scheme to improve the health of pregnant women and families with young children receiving certain benefits.
“Some parents in Croydon are not claiming the free vitamins and food vouchers for their children. We urge all parents and pregnant woman to speak to their midwife or health visitor to find out about the free vitamins and food voucher offer and how to apply. You can now also pick up vitamins for yourself or your child from your local Best Start children’s centre.”
Councillor Alisa Flemming, cabinet member for children, young people and learning
For more information, visit the Croydon Best Start website at www.croydon.gov.uk/beststart or email – email@example.com