Nine more fly-tippers and litter louts have been convicted and fined as part of the council’s Don’t Mess with Croydon -Take Pride campaign.
Fly-tipping pieces of furniture, dumping black bags of household waste and dropping cigarette butts landed the offenders with fines and costs totalling £2,865 at Croydon magistrates’ court on Tuesday 4 October.
The council has now prosecuted 123 people in the two years since launching its Don’t Mess campaign, which also focuses on recycling and changing behaviour.
So far, the campaign has also encouraged 309 locals to lead over 100 community litter picks, increased recycling by tightening waste collection rules outside shops in West Croydon, Thornton Heath and Norbury, and installed 80 more dual rubbish and recycling bins along streets across the borough.
The list of offenders is:
• Enoch Antwi of Queenswood Avenue, Thornton Heath, who pleaded guilty to fly-tipping multiple large items including chairs, onto the pavement at Monks Orchard recycling centre on 13 April. He was ordered to pay a total of £310.
• Pedro De Silva, 43, of Bensham Manor Road, Thornton Heath, who was ordered to pay a total of £350 for fly-tipping cardboard boxes and refuse sacks on Ecclesbourne Road, Thornton Heath on 19 April
• Jendayi-Natasha Pennie of Lodge Lane, New Addington, who was ordered to pay £350 for fly-tipping refuse bags of household waste and items of furniture in the communal area of flats on Lodge Lane on 11 March
• Sonia Yiadom-Hut, 34, of Norwich Road, Thornton Heath, who was ordered to pay £360 for fly-tipping a refuse sack containing household waste on the pavement in Norwich Road on 18 April
• Leanne Moore of Warbank Crescent, New Addington, who was ordered to pay £350 for leaving bags of refuse on the walkway to properties’ front doors on 17 March
• Mubin Abdul, 44, of Portland Road, South Norwood, who was ordered to pay a total of £350 for dropping a cigarette butt on High Street in Thornton Heath on 17 March
• Aziz Ul Anjum, 56, of Sandy Lane South, Wallington, who was ordered to pay a total of £350 for dropping a cigarette butt on Croydon High Street on 25 March
• Samiel Brhane, 24, of Cheltenham Place, Acton, who pleaded guilty to dropping a cigarette butt on Park Street, Croydon, on 23 March and was ordered to pay £95 in costs and given a conditional discharge for six months
• Christina Gavae of Church Road, Crystal Palace, who was ordered to pay £350 for dropping a cigarette butt on North End, Croydon, on 21 March
Councillor Stuart Collins, deputy leader – Clean Green Croydon
“Fly-tipping and littering on our streets is unacceptable and these prosecutions show we will take action against offenders who ignore the law and blight our borough.”
For more information on how to get involved in the Don’t Mess with Croydon – Take Pride campaign, visit the council website.
You can also report dumped waste via the council’s dedicated fly-tipping hotline on 0208 604 7000, the council’s My Croydon smartphone app or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org