Tuesday 20 September is the deadline to nominate an individual or community organisation to recognise them for their contribution to Croydon’s Community.
The Croydon Mayor’s Civic Awards recognise and honour the efforts and achievements of local people and organisations who have strived to make Croydon a better place to live and work.
The categories for the 2016 Mayor’s Civic Awards are:
- Volunteer of the year – for someone who has made an outstanding contribution to volunteering in Croydon this year
- Group of the year – to recognise a group that leads the way in volunteering and providing great opportunities for volunteers
- Young Achiever of the year – for a young person (ages 16 to 25) who has made an extraordinary contribution to life in our borough
- Business of the year – to honour a local business that puts social values and the community at the heart of its business
- Lifetime service to Croydon – in recognition of a special person who has devoted many years of outstanding to the local community and/or to volunteering
Anyone can nominate an individual or group using the application form on the council website: https://www.croydon.gov.uk/community/civic-awards/croydon-mayors-civic-awards
The awards ceremony will take place on Tuesday 11 October at Braithwaite Hall in Croydon Town Centre.
Wayne Trakas-Lawlor, Mayor of Croydon, said: “One of the best things about being the mayor of my home borough is that I get the opportunity to meet people every day who put so much energy and passion into Croydon’s many different communities. There are hundreds of people out there who give up their time for others without every really thinking about themselves as being volunteers – let alone champions. Volunteering is great for our wellbeing, and as well as giving us other interests, it enables us to develop new skills. I would love to award everyone – but each of the winners this year will be standing up as a Beacon for our borough. I thank every volunteer from the bottom of my heart for their contribution to the fastest growing economy in UK –Croydon”.
The event’s Gold Sponsor and sponsor of the Lifetime Service award are Kier Group. The other sponsors include Veolia, Croydon Partnership and Axis.